The first digital death day was a great success. We had 30 people from all over the US, Canada and one person from the UK. Leaders in different fields all related to digital death had in-depth self-organized conversations.
A main theme that emerged was around the issues surrounding digital assets and property rights. Until this question is figured out, we don’t have much ability to answer many of the questions that were raised. We have begun a group digitaldeath.org & a mailing list open to any one interested in the topic if they express interest in joining.
Sessions convened were as follows. As notes come in, we will link to them.
- Understanding and Contrasting Password and Identity Management Services
- Digital Death: Communal Bereavement and Networked Support, Film & Conversation
- Protect-Sharing Rich Family History
- What would an open-source public private partnership mode of digital legacy preservation look like?
- Thinking about Forever
- Economics of Domain Names and Online Memorials
- Legal Context, Terms of Service and Best Practices for Social Sites and Services
- How do we reach out to social network/media services then part of conversation
- “Safe” Media Hosting Requirements. Privacy/Terms of Service, Preservation, Sharable, Collaboration, Beneficiary
- Identifying Digital Assets, Listings, FrmD?
- How Can Funeral Directors Help/Join Families in Preparing Their Digital Death.
- One Physical Death, Many Digital Deaths: How to manage multiple personas Post-Death
- How do people who do not have digital content create and preserve “something” online?
- Digital Estate Planning, Wills, Trusts, Binding property dispositions // Can I will my Virtual Farm? Virtual Items/Currency and REal World Value: Who controls after owners Death? // Digital Identity/Legacy: Privacy vs. Access & Collaboration
NEXT DIGITAL DEATH DAY!
We will be hosting another Digital Death Day November 12th after the next Internet Identity Workshop in Mountain View. Other events are also being considered for DC (1st week of September) and London (2nd week of October).
This day would not have been possible without our sponsors. Please check out the services they have to offer in this field.
DataInherit online safes from Switzerland offer users around the world highly secure online storage for passwords and digital documents. You can access your online safe using any Internet browser or an iPhone from anywhere and at any time. In addition, the unique data inheritance functionality will protect your data in emergency situations. Open a free account in less than a minute: www.datainherit.com
Legacy Locker is a safe, secure repository for your vital digital property that lets you grant access to online assets for friends and loved ones in the event of loss, death, or disability.
Entrustet is the best FREE way to protect ALL your digital assets.
Wonderful site and theme, would really like to see a bit more content though!
Great post all around, added your XML feed! Love this theme, too!
Amazing post. I have bookmarked your site. I am looking forward to reading more
Thank you very much for sharing this. I have subscribed to your RSS feed. Please keep up the good work.